Introducing the Bricks module — build your content in a truly atomic way
This session is the fourth one in the series, following the How to Content Model in Drupal 8 at DrupalCon Vienna 2017, Drupal 8 Hidden Power at DrupalCon Dublin 2016 and Drupal Architectures for Flexible Content at DrupalCon Barcelona 2015. But unlike the previous three, this time we will focus on the particular solution, exclusively for Drupal 8.
Atomic Design gives us a good vision on how to design the systems of components. But when it comes to the real project, things become more complicated and it can be really hard to implement.
Because it covers the design patterns, not the content building blocks. These two things are closely interrelated but have completely different meaning: first is a view, second is a model. And don't worry: we are not going to re-implement the atom (wheel)!
Meet Bricks — a new way of building pages on top of Entity Reference, Display Modes, Layout API, tabledrag.js and Flat Tables. Everything is in Drupal core that makes Bricks ultra-lightweight and developer-friendly.
The following use cases will be highlighted:
- How to structure a page? In which independent components to split and how granularly?
- What is a difference between content items, building blocks and patterns/components?
- How to re-use content throughout website? How to render the same content differently depending on the context?
- How to organize the nesting of components?
- Where is a border between content and layout?
- Can layout be treated as a content?
- Why Paragraphs module doesn't work well in all cases?
The coexistence with the following modules will be covered:
- Content storage:
- Custom Block
- Entity Construction Kit
- Entity Translation
- Building blocks:
- Block Layout
- Field Layout
- View Modes
- Entity Reference
- Entity Reference Revisions
- Dynamic Entity Reference
- Layout Discovery
- Layout Builder
- Content editing:
- Inline Entity Form
- Entity Browser
- Entity Reference Live Preview
- Entity Reference Integrity
- Contextual Links
- Quick Edit
- Patterns and components:
- UI Patterns
- Pattern Lab
These very simple but extremely flexible techniques can be used for ANY Entity type and in almost ANY project. Re-understand your content today and create your own site building experience on top of Entity Reference, Layout API, Bricks and their wide contrib ecosystem!